Ashamed of the Gospel?

I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the Bible that if we are ashamed of God, he will be ashamed of us.. (Mark 8:38). I could be taking this passage out of context.. But today, I felt I needed to examine this idea for myself, and ask myself, "Am I ashamed of Jesus?" At work today, some coworkers were talking about religion and how it has messed people up. We were talking about this in the context of celebrating holidays. The conversation digressed into basically just bashing Christianity. I don't say that to make you feel sorry for me. Please don't. I say it, because I was so unsure of how to respond. Should I stand up for my faith and ask them to stop? What would that accomplish? Should I just get up and leave? What does that say about how I handle being under pressure? Should I stay but be silent? Does that mean I am ashamed? I wondered.. How would Jesus have me handle this situation? I honestly think Christians shy away from tough conversations too easily. I don't want to be that way. I also know that debating with an unbeliever isn't going to bring them to Christ. If anything, it will push them away. So how do I proceed? I can tell you what actually happened.. When one of my coworkers started joking about Creationism, I smiled a sad smile and didn't say anything. When someone else mentioned that there is a Creationism museum in Kentucky that features and dinosaur with a saddle, (because apparently people in Bible times rode dinosaurs?) I cringed. I was honestly embarrassed. I couldn't deny what they were saying about some of the silly beliefs of some people who claim to be Christians. I honestly felt a little heartbroken that this is how so many people view Christians.. As uneducated, ignorant, judgmental, and close minded. So I guess instead of asking whether or not I am ashamed of Jesus, I should say that I am sometimes embarrassed by the actions of those (and myself) who claim to follow Jesus. I am not ashamed of Jesus. HE is a man worth following. So why do we, the church, do such a poor job of emulating him? Quite frankly, we suck at showing the world Jesus. We are a mess. Why? So was my response to my coworker appropriate? Should I have responded differently? I honestly don't know. I don't think spouting my beliefs in someone's face will accomplish anything except leaving a bad taste in her mouth. But maybe I could have done more than sit in silence. Jesus suffered silently, but he also turned over tables in the tabernacle and called Pharisees some pretty harsh names. Which scenario is this? I know that I felt like I should have done or said more.. I felt the need to defend what I believe. I also know I felt that I wasn't supposed to say anything. I felt incredibly sad for them, that they are missing out on what I know to be the most incredible thing in the world, a relationship with Jesus. Was I right for not defending myself and my faith? Maybe? Maybe not. What do you think?

I know one thing.. God is worth following. I am not ashamed of Him. If being a follower of Christ makes me a freak than so be it. I am ok with that. I don't ever want to be ashamed of wearing the brand of Jesus. I am His. Forever. I am thankful that He doesn't need me to defend Him. I am also thankful that he is constantly teaching me more and what it means to follow him, even through situations like these.

-Jessie

(P.S) I would welcome any advice or thoughts on this.. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List