Life As An ICU Nurse: What I Am Learning

I have been a RN for a little over 6 months now. Now seems as good of a time as any to write a little about what I have learned. Before I start can I just say that it is CRAZY to me that I have been a nurse for 6 months! I still feel like I graduated yesterday!

First of all, I have learned that you never stop learning as a nurse. This is true in all of life but in nursing it is especially important, because the medical field is always changing. Just when you think you know something, it changes. One day we use this medicine to treat this illness and the next we use a different medicine or find out the medicine we were using actually isn't helping at all. Another thing is that no patient is the same and none of them respond the same way to treatments.

2) I have learned that it is a good thing to go with my gut instinct on things. If something doesn't look right it probably isn't. If you're not sure, get a second opinion. DOUBLE CHECK. Things change quickly. It is better to ask the question and be sure than miss something important.

3) Tube feed will inevitably end up in my hair or on my scrubs. I should just accept it.

4) Nursing school did not prepare me to be an ICU nurse. At all. Having said that, I don't think anything other than actually working as a nurse can truly prepare you. Nursing school gave me a good foundation to build on and for that I am thankful.

5) Code brown comes in many shapes, forms and sizes. Enough said.

6) You should ALWAYS talk with your family about plans for end of life care. As much as it sucks to have to talk about something scary and unknown I have seen way too many families and patients dragged through the mud because no one discussed what their wishes were. I have also seen families refuse to let go of a loved one, even when they DID make known their wishes. One of the hardest things I have had to do is keep a patient alive who I know wants to be allowed to die but their family has overruled them. Just an FYI, in NC, even with a DNR or a living will, family members can legally overrule the patient's wishes about end of life care. The only form that can't be overturned by family is called a Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (MOST) form and it has to be gone over with a doctor. Make sure you ask questions and educate yourself.

7) You cannot and will not make everyone happy all the time. This goes for situations with coworkers and situations with patients and families. Sometimes family members mean well but do not understand everything going on with their loved one. Sometimes they are upset about the situation and take it out on the nurse. No one wants to be in the hospital, especially not in the ICU. I have to understand and take into consideration that the people I take care of everyday are experiencing some of the worst times in their lives. I have a unique opportunity to make a difference in the midst of someone's hell, but I cannot be everyone's knight in shining armor. I am learning along with this to have balance for myself. My job isn't easy, and I can't get caught up in the stress of my surroundings if I am going to give good care to my patients.

8) Teamwork is VITAL to nursing. I could not get through my day without the amazing support of my coworkers.

9) Nursing is stressful. Find ways to de-stress. This was one of the first things I learned. I started working in the ICU and started seeing all sorts of horrible situations and horrific things. I needed to decompress. At first, when people asked how I was doing I was incredibly honest. I started to realize, however, that not everyone can handle the stress of hearing how a nurse's day can go. It also wasn't fair of me to burden people with some of the things I came into contact with at work. So I found a few people who I trust and I know understand nursing to talk things out with. I am learning to leave work at work. I already journal, so now I journal about work sometimes if there is something I need to get off my chest. I laugh. Sometimes that's all you can do. Laughter is so important.

10) Having other friends who are nurses is awesome. There is nothing quite like getting dinner with a bunch of other nurses. You probably wouldn't enjoy it if you aren't a nurse. We can be gross. But for that bit of time I get to let go and be completely honest about what life is like as a nurse. I can talk about gross things and sad things and scary things and know that my friends understand. I can complain about a particular doctor or share my excitement over my patient getting up to walk today for the first time. They get it. They get it when I'm tired and I really just want my patient to stop asking for ice chips so I can sit down for 5 minutes. They understand what it's like to not sit down the whole shift and not pee the whole 12 hours because you didn't have time. They just get it. And it helps. It helps to remember that I'm not alone and other nurses go through the same things I do, and I'm not crazy.

11) Some of my patients are going to get worse despite my best efforts, and some of my patients are going to get better. In both situations I can learn something and in neither situation am I a failure.

12)  Peach rings and sour gummy worms are a nice pick-me-up around 3pm.

13) I love being a nurse more than I ever thought possible. Yes, there are days when I dread going to work. Half the time I don't know what the heck I'm doing. But I love it. I am learning SO much about so many things. It spreads over into the rest of life as well. I am learning what kind of person I want to be, how to handle tough and stressful situations with grace and tact. I am learning how to take care of a dying patient in one room and support the family through that tough process while in my other patient's room I rejoice because my patient no longer needs the ventilator and is going to make it through this. Nursing is one of the hardest and best things I have ever done. =)










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List