A thankful heart
A thankful heart is a free heart.
That's just one of the many things I learned last weekend at a conference I attended. When I heard that, it was like a lightbulb went off. I realized in that moment that I had been spending the majority of my time lamenting things that weren't going the way I wanted them too and complaining about circumstances in general.
I have recently had to move back in with my parents due to finances. Understandably I was not super excited about this. However, the Lord is showing me that there is a purpose to everything and that he has me back home for this season ON PURPOSE. Now that I have been back for a few weeks I am beginning to see a glimpse of what that purpose may be.
Anyways, on the topic of being thankful, I used to post lists on my blog of things I was thankful for. It's been a long time since I posted one of those lists, and I always found that there was such freedom in putting out there some of the things I am thankful for. We typically spend a lot of time on what needs to be fixed, but I am learning that if I spend more time on what good I have and on how I've been blessed, the other things don't seem so overwhelming. I am more full of joy when I am thankful. So in that spirit, here's my list. =) I would definitely encourage you to make a list of your own. You don't have to post it on a blog or anything, but just the acting of writing it all down is super therapeutic. It also helps to be able to go back to that list on rough days.
1) I am thankful that I have a place to live! Not everyone has the option to move back in with their parents when times get tough. I'm very blessed that I have that option and that I do have a good relationship with my family. =)
2) I am thankful for my job. God really opened doors for me when he provided this job, and now, a year later, I am still seeing his hand in it. I can't count the amount of times, especially recently, where I have come in to contact with something I am learning at school at work. I love what I do, and I am also blessed with many many learning opportunities while I'm doing it. I am also thankful that my job provides the schedule flexibility that I need while in school and that I have been able to get the hours I need!
3) I am thankful for my revival group. At the school of ministry I am participating in at my church we are split into small groups which we call revival groups. I am so very thankful for each and every one of them. Already they are stretching me and encouraging me to go deeper in my walk with the Lord. The deeper I go the more I realize I had no idea how deep it is possible to go!
4) I am thankful for the weather lately. Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the crisp air that magically loses the humidity of summer, and I love the cool breezes. I love being able to turn the air off and open the windows!
5) I am thankful for good friendships. I don't think I have ever been able to say as much as I can now that I have so many genuine friends! Holy cow, sometimes it blows my mind how many people I have in my life who really love me and encourage me. That is such a blessing! Especially when I think about how afraid I was when I came back from Amsterdam that I would never find such family again. God has taken care of my every need so much more than I ever could have asked him too!
6) I am thankful for God's timing. I have recently had several situations that have taken a turn that wasn't what I expected. Through this, I am seeing God's hand. For example, I have been part of a girl's Bible study group for several years. We have been meeting weekly for quite some time, but lately it's been hard to get everyone together. It's just seemed that everyone's lives got really busy and none of us have time to meet anymore. It also kinda felt like no one wanted to meet anymore although no one would come out and say it. At first, I wanted to fight to keep it going, but I'm realizing that maybe the timing isn't right. I have also gotten busier and it's been hard to fit it in. We're all still friends, and that won't change, but the need to have a weekly Bible study just isn't there anymore. So with that, I'm just thankful for God's perfect timing. Because something I'm learning is that even good things, if done in the wrong timing, cease to be good things.
There's lots more that I could go into but I'll leave it at that for now. =) Be blessed and go make a list of your own!
-Jessie
That's just one of the many things I learned last weekend at a conference I attended. When I heard that, it was like a lightbulb went off. I realized in that moment that I had been spending the majority of my time lamenting things that weren't going the way I wanted them too and complaining about circumstances in general.
I have recently had to move back in with my parents due to finances. Understandably I was not super excited about this. However, the Lord is showing me that there is a purpose to everything and that he has me back home for this season ON PURPOSE. Now that I have been back for a few weeks I am beginning to see a glimpse of what that purpose may be.
Anyways, on the topic of being thankful, I used to post lists on my blog of things I was thankful for. It's been a long time since I posted one of those lists, and I always found that there was such freedom in putting out there some of the things I am thankful for. We typically spend a lot of time on what needs to be fixed, but I am learning that if I spend more time on what good I have and on how I've been blessed, the other things don't seem so overwhelming. I am more full of joy when I am thankful. So in that spirit, here's my list. =) I would definitely encourage you to make a list of your own. You don't have to post it on a blog or anything, but just the acting of writing it all down is super therapeutic. It also helps to be able to go back to that list on rough days.
1) I am thankful that I have a place to live! Not everyone has the option to move back in with their parents when times get tough. I'm very blessed that I have that option and that I do have a good relationship with my family. =)
2) I am thankful for my job. God really opened doors for me when he provided this job, and now, a year later, I am still seeing his hand in it. I can't count the amount of times, especially recently, where I have come in to contact with something I am learning at school at work. I love what I do, and I am also blessed with many many learning opportunities while I'm doing it. I am also thankful that my job provides the schedule flexibility that I need while in school and that I have been able to get the hours I need!
3) I am thankful for my revival group. At the school of ministry I am participating in at my church we are split into small groups which we call revival groups. I am so very thankful for each and every one of them. Already they are stretching me and encouraging me to go deeper in my walk with the Lord. The deeper I go the more I realize I had no idea how deep it is possible to go!
4) I am thankful for the weather lately. Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the crisp air that magically loses the humidity of summer, and I love the cool breezes. I love being able to turn the air off and open the windows!
5) I am thankful for good friendships. I don't think I have ever been able to say as much as I can now that I have so many genuine friends! Holy cow, sometimes it blows my mind how many people I have in my life who really love me and encourage me. That is such a blessing! Especially when I think about how afraid I was when I came back from Amsterdam that I would never find such family again. God has taken care of my every need so much more than I ever could have asked him too!
6) I am thankful for God's timing. I have recently had several situations that have taken a turn that wasn't what I expected. Through this, I am seeing God's hand. For example, I have been part of a girl's Bible study group for several years. We have been meeting weekly for quite some time, but lately it's been hard to get everyone together. It's just seemed that everyone's lives got really busy and none of us have time to meet anymore. It also kinda felt like no one wanted to meet anymore although no one would come out and say it. At first, I wanted to fight to keep it going, but I'm realizing that maybe the timing isn't right. I have also gotten busier and it's been hard to fit it in. We're all still friends, and that won't change, but the need to have a weekly Bible study just isn't there anymore. So with that, I'm just thankful for God's perfect timing. Because something I'm learning is that even good things, if done in the wrong timing, cease to be good things.
There's lots more that I could go into but I'll leave it at that for now. =) Be blessed and go make a list of your own!
-Jessie
Comments