What does it mean to be childlike?
"About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?' Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them. Then he said, 'I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.'" -Matthew 18:1-4
Years ago, someone told me they didn't like me because I was too childlike. At the time, that really hurt. I was embarrassed and tried hard to not be seen as childlike for a long time after that. Now, I see that God loves that quality about me. I also see that being childlike does not mean being immature. Being childlike is actually a very good quality.
Think about it.. children are very trusting. Children see the simple wonder of the world around them. Children are not jaded by life as so many adults are. Children receive love more easily than adults. Why? Because they haven't yet believed the lie that they are unloveable or that they do not deserve love. Children do not care about what others think of them. They haven't had to deal with the social pressures to look, think, act, or dress a certain way so they don't have the same hang ups we adults end up with. Children are innocent.
It stinks when I really think about it. We grow up and the world tells us all these things and expects even more from us. We were not created to live that way but we live in a sinful world and the culture today is rampant with lies about who we are and what our purpose is. No wonder we become jaded. The world chewed us up and spit us out and expects us to be okay with that.
Jesus said that someone who becomes like a little child will be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. I want that. I want to be able to find the simple joy in the world around me. I want to be able to trust freely, even though I know I might get hurt. I want to be able to love without reserve and love without fear, because I truly believe that I am lovable and worth love. Because I am! I want to be secure in who I am and in my identity, and not be controlled by what others think of me. Then, even though the social pressures around me won't go away, I won't care as much because I know that what the world thinks of me doesn't really matter after all. Most of all, I want to return to that childlike innocence. That place where I am free of corruption, I am pure and clothed in white because my Savior paid the price for me.
You see, Jesus already paid the price for me. But I have allowed my white gown to get dirty just by believing lies about myself. I know I am forgiven. Now, I want to walk in it and live it out. That, to me, is being childlike.
So for the person who belittled me for being childlike years ago, I don't know if you'll ever read this but I want to say thank you. What you said cut deep, but the Lord used what you meant for evil for good. I also want to let you know that I forgive you. =)
-Jessie
Comments