In the world but not of it.
Christians, aren't we supposed to be different from the rest of the world?
When was the last time you read in your Bible, "be in this world, and look just like them."? No.. Jesus called us to be in this world but not of it. There's a huge difference. Being in this world simply means that we live here, albeit temporarily. Being of the world is becoming a citizen of it. Buying in to what this world stands for. That's not what we as Christians are called to.
We aren't called to be popular or politically correct. In fact, when I read stories about great missionaries, almost all of them were "out there." People thought they were crazy. They did things that were unwise in the eyes of the world. Maybe they even did things that were considered stupid. But God doesn't see it that way. He calls the wisdom of this world foolishness. True wisdom is in trusting the Lord with all things. God is not a rational God. Since when did following him have to make sense? But we know it's worth it. Don't we? Do you really believe it's worth it? I challenge you to evaluate why you call yourself a Christian. If you call yourself a Christian because that's how you were raised or because most of your friends are, than you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Do you have a personal relationship with him? You know.. one that involves having conversations with him and getting to know him.. a real relationship. Our relationship with the Lord is in a way like floating in a stream. If we aren't actively swimming against the current, we are being carried away from the Lord. Are you actively swimming up stream? Swimming upstream is swimming against what "everyone else" is doing. It's not easy, it's not popular, but it brings us closer to our Father. Jesus never said following him would be easy. Jesus was homeless, owned nothing, and hated by many. Upstanding members of society, the "church" if you will, plotted to kill Jesus because they considered him a heretic and disturber of the peace. Are you willing to be labeled with those things for the sake of following Him?
I have to ask myself these questions a lot. I have to constantly re-evaluate to make sure I am swimming upstream still. Clearly the easier thing to do is to just tread water and let the current carry me. I'm not doing any wrong right? I'm not swimming with the current. Right?
"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." -Matthew 7:13-14
I want to be a part of the few that enter God's Kingdom through the narrow gate.
-Jessie
When was the last time you read in your Bible, "be in this world, and look just like them."? No.. Jesus called us to be in this world but not of it. There's a huge difference. Being in this world simply means that we live here, albeit temporarily. Being of the world is becoming a citizen of it. Buying in to what this world stands for. That's not what we as Christians are called to.
We aren't called to be popular or politically correct. In fact, when I read stories about great missionaries, almost all of them were "out there." People thought they were crazy. They did things that were unwise in the eyes of the world. Maybe they even did things that were considered stupid. But God doesn't see it that way. He calls the wisdom of this world foolishness. True wisdom is in trusting the Lord with all things. God is not a rational God. Since when did following him have to make sense? But we know it's worth it. Don't we? Do you really believe it's worth it? I challenge you to evaluate why you call yourself a Christian. If you call yourself a Christian because that's how you were raised or because most of your friends are, than you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Do you have a personal relationship with him? You know.. one that involves having conversations with him and getting to know him.. a real relationship. Our relationship with the Lord is in a way like floating in a stream. If we aren't actively swimming against the current, we are being carried away from the Lord. Are you actively swimming up stream? Swimming upstream is swimming against what "everyone else" is doing. It's not easy, it's not popular, but it brings us closer to our Father. Jesus never said following him would be easy. Jesus was homeless, owned nothing, and hated by many. Upstanding members of society, the "church" if you will, plotted to kill Jesus because they considered him a heretic and disturber of the peace. Are you willing to be labeled with those things for the sake of following Him?
I have to ask myself these questions a lot. I have to constantly re-evaluate to make sure I am swimming upstream still. Clearly the easier thing to do is to just tread water and let the current carry me. I'm not doing any wrong right? I'm not swimming with the current. Right?
"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." -Matthew 7:13-14
I want to be a part of the few that enter God's Kingdom through the narrow gate.
-Jessie
Comments