Love.. the romantic kind.

This is probably the only time you will ever see me write something about this particular topic. This is because I feel like their are enough opinions out there about relationships and I don't want to add to the cacophony. I'm not knocking anyone's opinion or anything. But my opinion has most likely already been stated by someone else at some point. Anywho.. off my soapbox now.

I have to admit that marriage is something that I think about a fair amount. I wouldn't say that I am obsessed with this idea, because I am very happy being single. I believe that for this season of my life the Lord has called me to be single, and he'll let me know that season is over by bringing the right man into my life. I won't lie.. I hope this season is shorter rather than longer, but I am content being in God's will. I hear from a lot of married people and/or people who are "happily" divorced, that marriage isn't really all that great. A lot of people say that I should just avoid it all together. I frequently hear women joke about getting rid of their husbands, or losing them, or going on vacation and "forgetting" them at home. I have heard this from women my mother's age and women who are only a few years older than me. I have even heard it from a few girls younger than me.

Am I the only one who thinks this is horribly sad? Those of you who are married and reading this, please give me some feedback, because I rarely hear from anyone that they love being married anymore. Maybe I am naive because I have never been married, but I believe that a marriage where God is the center can be amazing. I am not under the impression that marriage is a cake walk. I know it will be hard. It is a commitment, it's not just about the wedding day. There will be ups and downs. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is the attitude I hear, especially from women, that they don't like being married. They don't love their husbands or they are their "3rd child." I don't believe it has to be this way. I do know a few couples who have been married for a long time who are still very much in love. My grandparents are one of these couples. I have so much respect for them and they are such an example to me. Even though my grandpa has been sick a lot and needs a lot of taking care of now, I still see how my grandma loves him, and how he loves her. I see the same thing in the parents and grandparents of one of my close friends. I want that kind of marriage.

So what do you think? Are we all destined to end up in loveless marriages where we stay together for the kids? Maybe it's not a "horrible" marriage but it's not a great or healthy one either. Do we have to succumb to the statistic that over half (even among Christians) of marriages end in divorce? I don't believe we do and the change starts with just one person. You.

Last, I want to just take a minute to praise the Lord for his restoring power. There are a lot of broken families and broken people out there, and praise the Lord that he is a God of healing and restoration! Whatever pain or hurt you have been through in your life, no matter how big or small it is, God is our healer. Thank goodness! =)

So that's it. Please let me know (especially married people) what you think about this. I want to hear people's thoughts on this topic. Thanks so much!

-Jessie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List