In the name of love
I have to make a confession. Tonight, as I began writing in this blog, I was really angry. I saw something within the body of Christ that made me angry. It was wrong, it shouldn't have happened, and I was going to rant about it. I was going to condemn and let everyone know how frustrated I was with the situation and with how the church isn't acting like the church. I stopped writing and in the process I witnessed something that convicted me. I came back to my chair, sat down, and got ready to start writing again when I realized something.
How am I any better than them if all I do is condemn them? Jesus said, "Let him with no sin cast the first stone." I have sinned. I have no business casting stones and making judgements that aren't mine to make. Christ called me to spread his love to the world. To tell the lost about Jesus' love and to disciple other believers. That is my calling. Judging and condemning are not my calling.
Sometimes I have a hard time stomaching this, because I believe that when we witness injustice we are called to be a voice for the voiceless as well. But I am learning that there is a difference between being a voice against injustice, and judging other's sin. This may sound a little hippy-ish, but but it is supposed to be all about love. Love, love, love, it's all about love. The Holy Spirit does a whole lot better job convicting others of their wrongs than I do. Especially since it's his job and not mine. I need to trust the Lord to take care of others. If I love others and I recognize in others their God-given potential, they will start walking in that potential. If I treat them like they are awful sinners they will keep acting like awful sinners. I need to honor other people, not judge. After all, I am no better than them. Some of you know my testimony, but only God and myself know the messy, ugly details. I will probably say this more than once, (I'm pretty sure I have already), but God has done miracles in my life. He has brought me up from the miry pit and restored me. I am so excited about what God has done in my life. I recognize what the Lord has brought me out of. So how can I condemn others who struggle when I have known struggle myself? I still struggle. Maybe I don't struggle with the same things anymore, but I am not perfect. I still have a long way to go.
How many more people could we reach with the gospel if we loved more and judged less? I sometimes wonder how many people I have turned away because I judged instead of loved. Or maybe I was too strict and made someone think being a Christian means following a bunch of rules. Something I have learned about rules is that the more you love someone, the more you want to do what pleases them. We can't expect people to follow all our rules and be perfect little Christian copies if we don't teach them to fall in love with Jesus. That's the heart of the gospel. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and mind, and strength! Love!!!!!! Without love we are nothing but a resounding gong. Yes, maybe we are loud and get people's attention, but nothing about us will be beautiful, and we will make people want to run the opposite direction because we will be so annoying. I don't know about you but that's not how I want to be perceived as a Christian! Not only that, but everything we do reflects Christ, and that's not how I want to reflect Christ! We should be a sweet fragrance that make people want to take a closer look at our source.
I want to encourage you right now, as a believer, to love other people. Love them even when they don't deserve it. You never know what impact you are having on a person just by a smile their way or a kind word. In the same way, a harsh word could really crush someone while you go on about your day with no idea you hurt them. Treat others with love. Because I know that's how you want to be treated. Oh and one more thing, here is the definition of love... so we can actually do this the right way. =)
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Be blessed! As always, feedback in much appreciated. =)
-Jessie
How many more people could we reach with the gospel if we loved more and judged less? I sometimes wonder how many people I have turned away because I judged instead of loved. Or maybe I was too strict and made someone think being a Christian means following a bunch of rules. Something I have learned about rules is that the more you love someone, the more you want to do what pleases them. We can't expect people to follow all our rules and be perfect little Christian copies if we don't teach them to fall in love with Jesus. That's the heart of the gospel. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and mind, and strength! Love!!!!!! Without love we are nothing but a resounding gong. Yes, maybe we are loud and get people's attention, but nothing about us will be beautiful, and we will make people want to run the opposite direction because we will be so annoying. I don't know about you but that's not how I want to be perceived as a Christian! Not only that, but everything we do reflects Christ, and that's not how I want to reflect Christ! We should be a sweet fragrance that make people want to take a closer look at our source.
I want to encourage you right now, as a believer, to love other people. Love them even when they don't deserve it. You never know what impact you are having on a person just by a smile their way or a kind word. In the same way, a harsh word could really crush someone while you go on about your day with no idea you hurt them. Treat others with love. Because I know that's how you want to be treated. Oh and one more thing, here is the definition of love... so we can actually do this the right way. =)
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Be blessed! As always, feedback in much appreciated. =)
-Jessie
Comments
~Katie