writing..
A blessing in disguise.. my psychology class involves a large amount of writing. At least a 2-3 page paper every week. Before this semester started I realized that I missed having a class that required me to write. Writing is a kind of therapy for me.. and when I don't write a lot I notice that my ability to write well decreases. I also notice that when I write frequently I get better at expressing myself in other areas. For instance, when I write, not only does my writing style improve, but my vocabulary and my speech improves. I feel more confident in how I speak because I am used to speaking/communicating more frequently.
I took a Journalism class a few semesters ago. During that semester when a friend of mine came home on fall break, she noticed that my speaking style had changed. I was using a better vocabulary, stuttering less, and just in general expressing myself more clearly. I hadn't even realized the change but it was there. Unfortunately when that class ended my writing time decreased a lot. The next semester I had a lot of math and science type classes that did not require writing papers. Slowly, my writing and speaking reverted back to where it was before my Journalism class. I didn't realize it until I started writing again and was upset with how terrible my writing was.
I say all this to say that I am very excited about all the writing I will be doing for my Psychology class. I also have started journaling my prayer times with the Lord. I went to a conference this past weekend and the speaker talked about how when you journal what the Lord speaks to you, it frees you from outside distractions and helps you to continue to hear what the Lord is saying to you. We practiced some journaling at this conference and I am so excited about it. I love hearing from the Lord this way and it also keeps me writing. Maybe as I continue journaling I will actually remember to write in my blog more regularly. haha. Every time I write I say that I want to write more often but that rarely happens. Most of all I am excited about growing more in my walk with the Lord through this journaling process. There is a lot more to it than just writing down what you pray.. so if you are intrigued please feel free to ask me. I am new to it so maybe we can learn together. =)
-Jessie
I took a Journalism class a few semesters ago. During that semester when a friend of mine came home on fall break, she noticed that my speaking style had changed. I was using a better vocabulary, stuttering less, and just in general expressing myself more clearly. I hadn't even realized the change but it was there. Unfortunately when that class ended my writing time decreased a lot. The next semester I had a lot of math and science type classes that did not require writing papers. Slowly, my writing and speaking reverted back to where it was before my Journalism class. I didn't realize it until I started writing again and was upset with how terrible my writing was.
I say all this to say that I am very excited about all the writing I will be doing for my Psychology class. I also have started journaling my prayer times with the Lord. I went to a conference this past weekend and the speaker talked about how when you journal what the Lord speaks to you, it frees you from outside distractions and helps you to continue to hear what the Lord is saying to you. We practiced some journaling at this conference and I am so excited about it. I love hearing from the Lord this way and it also keeps me writing. Maybe as I continue journaling I will actually remember to write in my blog more regularly. haha. Every time I write I say that I want to write more often but that rarely happens. Most of all I am excited about growing more in my walk with the Lord through this journaling process. There is a lot more to it than just writing down what you pray.. so if you are intrigued please feel free to ask me. I am new to it so maybe we can learn together. =)
-Jessie
Comments