Wind..

The sermon in church today was on Matthew 5:10-12. "God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way."

Wow the sermon was super good. My pastor basically opened the sermon saying that the church needs more persecution. haha. Who would have expected to hear something like that from your pastor but it's so true. American, modernistic Christians have no idea what it means to be persecuted for their faith. I myself, have suffered some, but very very little persecution for my faith. Persecution is what makes us strong. Case in point, a story he told during the sermon today.

In the late 80's and 90's there was a scientific project going on (I forget the exact name), where scientists were able to isolate on a smaller scale life. They created water, earth, etc and studied how all of it worked. It was ultimately a failure, but here's the point.. the one thing they failed to create was wind. They couldn't figure it out, and as their plant life grew, it shot up, and then right before I would bear fruit or leaves or what have you, they would split down the middle. The scientists studied all sorts of reasons for why this was happening and eventually came to the conclusion that it was lack of wind. Something about wind pushing against plants caused them to be strong enough later in life to bear fruit etc. No wind = no fruit.

Wow, I didn't explain that quite as eloquently as my pastor did this morning but the story really struck me. I really should rejoice at persecution! Without it how can I develop enough backbone to stand strong on my own?

My heart's desire is to be a light for the Lord in everything I do. I want people to see Jesus in me. Even if that means they reject me because they don't like Jesus.

God, I can't say that I really want to be persecuted, but sometimes it's necessary. Please help me to stand strong when persecution comes, and to lean on you for support. In my weakness your strength shines through!! I want to be your vessel Jesus! Create in me a clean heart and show me your ways!

-Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List