What matters most?

I've become acquainted with a girl in my astronomy class. While waiting for lab to start today she and I were chatting, and she expressed amazement that I survive in the midst of my hectic schedule. Her response to my busy life got me thinking.. how do I survive? When the semester first began I was overwhelmed and almost certain that I was going to drown and not be able to handle my class load. As the weeks continued I learned my schedule better and things began to take on a sort of rhythm, albeit a fast one. When I stop for a second and take a breath, sometimes it amazes me that I am surviving. Not even that, I'm succeeding! I'm making good grades, working, getting my homework done, going to church, playing soccer, volleyball, and I still have found time to spend with my family and my friends.

Ironically, the one thing I feel I have let go to a degree since school started is my quiet time with the Lord. Why is this ironic? It is because God is who I depend on to get through my busy schedule every day without pulling my hair out. I can actually say that I'm happy. I don't feel constantly stressed over the busyness of my life, I thrive on it, it's a challenge that most of the time I enjoy.

Having said that, I don't always feel fulfilled. I have felt empty as of late, and this week I realized that it's because I've neglected my time with the Lord. I cannot even begin to tell you how this saddens me. Before school started I was soo good about reading my Bible every day. Not only that but I was hungry to read my Bible and I loved what I read. My mind was constantly "on good things," throughout the day. I'm not kidding, I found my thought life richer and much more healthy when I consistently read my Bible and spent time meditating on the Lord regularly. It makes sense. The more time you spend with someone, the more you become like them. I was spending lots of time with Jesus so I was becoming more and more like Him. It's funny how these things work exactly like God tells us they will and yet we're still surprised when they actually do. Ha. Oh me of little faith.

So, now I have a choice to make. A) Continue to skimp on my time with the Lord, and just barely get by, or B) Spend more time with Him and thrive in the midst of my crazy life.

Option B seems like the obvious choice but it's generally easier said than done. Nonetheless I choose option B. God is too important in my life for me to skimp on my time with Him. Even physical relationships suffer when time and energy is not put into them. How much more should time and energy matter in the most important relationship of my existence??

If you happen upon this, I would much appreciate a prayer lifted up for my sake. If you see me regularly, ask me what I read in my Bible lately. =) Seriously. Hold me accountable.

-Jessie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bucket List